In order to be referred through to the Aintree Loss team you must fit the following criteria.
If you are unsure if you fit the criteria, talk to your GP and they will be able to talk you through the criteria.
Registered with a Liverpool GP (if your GP is not within the Liverpool area you may be able to attend the Aintree SWMS).
Aged at least 18 years
BMI >40 with or without obesity related co morbidities
BMI > 35 with at least one obesity related co morbidity
For the purposes of this service, specific obesity-related co-morbidities are:
- Obstructive sleep apnoea
- Obesity hypoventilation syndrome
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Ischaemic heart disease
- Difficult to control hypertension
- Difficult to control dyslipidaemia
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
- Chronic joint pain (eg due to osteoarthritis)
- Infertility (after exclusion of other causes)
- Psychological problems such as depression related to obesity.
Patients with other medical conditions (not necessarily caused by obesity) that are likely to benefit from weight loss may also be accepted. Examples include patients awaiting major surgery where weight loss is recommended prior to surgery, patients with organ failure (eg kidney, heart) awaiting transplantation; severe asthma, corticosteroid-induced weight gain; other drug-induced obesity (eg anticonvulsants).
Please note that this list is not exhaustive and each case will be considered on individual merits. Click here to find out your Body mass index (BMI).