Aintree LOSS is a level 3 based community service which offers a two year multidisciplinary approach to weight management for patients living in Liverpool.

The team includes GPs with a special interest in obesity, dietitians, physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists, psychologists and health care support workers. All patients are initially assessed on an individual basis so that the programme can be individually tailored to meet their needs and any medical concerns are identified early in the pathway.

The dietitians, physiotherapists, occupational therapists and psychologists are specially trained to address lifestyle change whilst considering the health problems associated with obesity. Within the programme we offer one to one and group appointments with dietitians and physiotherapists, along with group programmes combining both elements. In addition the physiotherapists offer walking groups and exercise in a hydrotherapy pool. All patients receive a 3-6 monthly overview appointment to monitor progress and signpost to other elements of the service or external services, including the sleep clinic.

Early on in the pathway bariatric surgery is discussed with patients who meet the preliminary guidelines. We ensure appropriate patients fully meet the criteria set out by the commissioners before referral, and that they are fully informed about what surgery involves through an education session. The team also run informal pre-bariatric surgery support groups. Multi-disciplinary clinics and groups are carried out at various community locations across the Liverpool area:

  • Aintree University Hospital
  • Yewtree Health Centre
  • Speke Health Centre
  • Abercromby Health Centre
  • Garston Urban Village Hall
  • Jubilee Sports Centre (Kensington).

Contact Us If you would like to contact the team please use the details below:

Aintree LOSS weight management service,

Aintree University Hospital,

Aintree Hall,

Longmoor Lane,


L9 7AL

0151 529 3351

Referral information

Referrals cannot be taken directly and must come from your General Practitioner.