The Major Trauma service at Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation provides specialist life and limb-saving treatment for patients across Cheshire and Merseyside.
Aintree, as part of the Major Trauma Centre Collaborative (MTCC), a partnership between Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Royal Liverpool & Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust and The Walton Centre NHS Foundation Trust, is the regional Major Trauma Centre for the North West, providing the full range of services and clinical expertise for patients who are severely injured from all areas of the region.
Patients will be transferred directly from the scene of the accident / injury or from Trauma Units and A&E departments across the region to be treated at Aintree by a team of highly experience and specialized consultants and clinical staff.
Supported by excellent links with regional specialist centres for Burns, Plastics and Cardiothoracic care and five Trauma Units, the MTCC is central to providing specialist 24/7 consultant led adult major trauma care for the Cheshire and Merseyside region..
Pre-Hospital care is provided by The North West Ambulance Service (NWAS) who utilise a Major Trauma pathfinder Tool. Patients assessed as being major trauma triage positive are taken directly to the MTCC even if this means them “bypassing “the nearest hospital to where the incident has occurred.
Once acute specialist care within the MTCC is complete patients are discharged home, reversed transferred back to their local hospital, or transferred to the rehabilitation network.
Services provided include:
- 24/7 provision of consultant led, multi-specialty trauma team assessment and acute management , on arrival at the emergency department, for all potential major trauma cases from across the region who have been assessed as major trauma triage positive and pre-alert issued by the ambulance service
- 24/7 immediate access to theatres for patients requiring life or limb threatening injuries
- Coordinated definitive care and inpatient management from multi-specialty/ multidisciplinary team experienced in the management of poly trauma patients
- Hyper acute rehabilitation for poly trauma patients
- Integrated pathways of care with Walton Centre Foundation Trust to support the holistic management of patients with traumatic head and spinal injuries
The Major Trauma Pathway includes initial management within the Accident and Emergency Department, with some patients requiring a period in critical care but predominantly inpatient management takes place within the major trauma ward based at Aintree.
Sharon Scott, Clinical Director Major Trauma. Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon , GMC No: 4299002
Sharon Scott is a full time orthopaedic surgeon, with a specialist interest in orthopaedic trauma surgery and the Clinical Director for Major Trauma. She is the governance lead for the Major Trauma Centre Collaborative and maintain an active role within the network. Click here to read more...