What is diabetes?
Diabetes is a chronic health condition that occurs when the amount of glucose (sugar) in the blood is too high. If left untreated, high blood glucose levels can cause serious long-term health complications.
Find out more at our FREE Diabetes and You sessions
Diabetes & You – our FREE education sessions – are currently running at health centres across the city...
- These sessions provide a comprehensive overview of what diabetes is and why we develop it; how you are managed & monitored; the role medication plays; and how to manage diabetes with food & lifestyle choices. Anyone with a diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes can attend, no matter how long you’ve had the diagnosis or how it’s managed.
- Self-conscious about attending a group? Don’t be! We want to provide an informal, relaxed environment where you can learn more about managing your diabetes and feel free to interact as much or as little as you want. You may wish to bring a friend, relative or carer to support you during the session – that’s ok, just let us know so we can accommodate them.
- The course is delivered over two consecutive sessions, lasting two hours each with a comfort break, and are delivered by our Diabetes Specialist Nurses & Dietitians. You may already have some questions prepared for them, which we will do our best to answer for you. We will also provide a handbook to support the information discussed during the sessions, although you may wish to bring some paper to make your own notes.
- Courses run between 10am-12 noon, 1pm-3pm and 5.30pm-7.30pm at the following health centres: Speke, Garston, Breeze Hill, Townsend, Yew Tree, Childwall, Picton Medical Centre, Croxteth Fire Station, Mere Lane Practice, and Kensington Health Centre
- You can self-refer by contacting us on 0151 529 2130 and booking on to your nearest session, or request your GP or Practice Nurse refer you in.
Where to find our sessions
Sessions are delivered at nine different venues across Liverpool including:
- Speke Health Centre
- Picton Neighbourhood Centre
- South Liverpool Treatment Centre
- Townsend Medical Centre
- Childwall Neighbourhood Centre
- Yew Tree Health Centre
- Breeze Hill Health Centre
- Croxteth Fire Station
- Kensington Health Centre
- Mere Lane Group Practice.
We have morning or afternoon appointments and evening sessions are available at Breeze Hill Health Centre and South Liverpool Treatment Centre.