Secretary to Dr Sankaranarayanan/Kanagala - 0151 529 2721
Secretary to Dr Burgess/Khand/Elkhazin - 0151 529 2720
Secretary to Dr Clarke/Chuah/Elamin - 0151 529 2584
Secretary to Dr Douglas/Ranjit/Borbas - 0151 529 6401
Catheter Lab Co-ordinator - 0151 529 8231
Cardiology Lab, Diagnostic Enquires - 0151 529 2700
About the service
The Cardiology Department provides a comprehensive inpatient and outpatient service for the diagnosis and treatment of patients with a wide range of cardiac illnesses and conditions.
The department provides a full and comprehensive range of modern, diagnostic and therapeutic techniques in addition to specialist clinics, including:
- Cardiac Laboratory – for cardiac investigations (including Echocardiography, ECG, Tilt testing, etc)
- Catheter Laboratory. Read more about our Cardiac Laboratory here
- Inpatient Cardiology Wards including Coronary Care Unit, further monitored beds and general Cardiology beds
- Rapid Access Chest Pain Clinic
- Heart Failure diagnostic clinics
- Nurse delivered Heart Failure Service
- Ambulatory Atrial Fibrillation Service including clinics
- Cardiac Rehabilitation Service
The Cardiology Department is progressive in developing services to meet the needs of patients. This has included introducing nurse and physiologist led services to improve access and the development of ambulatory models of care to deliver the highest quality of care whilst avoiding the need for patients to have a prolonged stay in hospital.
Providing care that is responsive to the needs and preferences of individual patients, the cardiac team are committed to their patients by:
- Delivering timely, effective and efficient care in a manner which respects people’s dignity, privacy and individuality and within an environment that is safe, clean and comfortable
- Developing partnerships and co-operation at all levels within the local health economy to ensure a seamless and patient-centred service
- Giving all relevant information on individual treatment progress to patients and-with-consent-to their relatives and friends and to provide open access to general information about services, treatment and performance.
All new patients can be referred via GP - either through Choose & Book, a letter to the Call Centre, via the Rapid Access Chest Pain Clinic (two week referral) or via internal tertiary referrals to the Call Centre.
The Cardiology Department is comprised of Consultant Cardiologists, Clinical Fellows, Junior Medical Staff, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Cardiac Physiologists and Cardiac Nurses.
Our consultant team includes:
Dr Homeyra Douglas , Clinical Director, Cardiology. Consultant Cardiologist, Arrhythmia and Cardiac Device Specialist , GMC No: 4781136
Dr Homeyra Douglas completed her training in Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital concentrating on Cardiac Electrophysiology and Complex Devices such as CRT and ICDs. She set up a novel Ambulatory Atrial Fibrillation Service and a Nurse Led Cardioversion service at Aintree and is the clinical lead for Atrial Fibrillation and Cardiac Arrhythmia service at the hospital. Click here to read more...
Dr Malcolm Burgess, Consultant Cardiologist , GMC No: 4048275
Dr Burgess is a clinical cardiologist providing comprehensive invasive and non-invasive services for patients with all types of heart disease. Appointments can be made available at short notice and care is provided in a safe and comfortable environment. Click here to read more...
Dr Som Chuah, Consultant Cardiologist , GMC No: 4013657
Dr Karen Clarke, Consultant Cardiologist , GMC No: 3167098
Dr Gershan Davis, Consultant Cardiologist , GMC No: 3237368
Dr Aleem Khand, Consultant Cardiologist , GMC No: 3582422
Dr Arun Ranjit, Consultant Cardiologist , GMC No: 6119148
Dr Ranjit specialises in cardiac imaging and is actively involved in research and service improvement pathways in the cardiology department Click here to read more...
Dr Erwin Rodrigues, Consultant Cardiologist , GMC No: 2328539
Dr Erwin Rodrigues is the Senior Consultant Cardiologist and Ex-Founder Clinical Director of Cardiology at the Aintree Cardiac Centre and an Accredited Specialist in General Internal Medicine and Cardiology.
Dr Rodrigues is also a Consultant Cardiologist at the Diagnostic Centre, Kenilworth Road, Crosby and Abbey Sefton Hospital where he undertakes Private Practice in Cardiology. Click here to read more...