The bereavement suite is also known as a Mortuary. The Mortuary is where we look after the bodies of people who have died. This page gives you more information about the Mortuary service and how to contact us.
Please be aware, that you should not attend the bereavement office without first telephoning for an appointment, otherwise the forms may not be ready for when you arrive, which may then involve an unnecessary wait. Please do not make an appointment with the Register Office until the forms have been completed and collected. The Medical Certificate of Cause of Death will only be released to the nominated next of kin in the patient’s hospital records. Proof of identity will be required. If you have nominated another person to attend on your behalf, they will need a letter of authority from you and proof of their identity.
To make an appointment please telephone the bereavement office on 0151 529 2855. The bereavement office is open Monday–Friday, 9am-4.30pm We will explain what you need to do next, arrange a time for you to collect the necessary documentation and help with any questions you may have.
When contacting the office you will be asked:
- The full name of the deceased
- Your relationship to the deceased
- Your contact telephone number
- If known, whether the funeral is to be a burial or cremation, as additional paperwork may have to be completed; where there is a Will it is wise to check this for instructions.
- The bereavement office is located in Bluebell House, visitors should drive past the multi-storey car park and continue past the Elective Care Centre on the right. Bluebell House is located in the next building on the left adjacent to the small parking area. Parking is free for bereaved relatives in the designated area outside of Bluebell House, however when visiting, relatives should provide their car registration number to bereavement staff upon arrival to avoid receiving a fine.