If you arrange for a funeral, you are responsible for paying for the expenses incurred.

If you are finding it difficult to pay for the funeral that you have to arrange, you may be entitled to receive a Social Fund Funeral Payment from the Department for Work and Pensions providing you or your partner receive one of the following:

  • Universal credit
  • Housing benefit
  • Income support
  • Income-based Job seeker’s allowance
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Disabled Persons tax credit
  • Pension Credit
  • Child Tax credit
  • The disability or severe disability element of working tax credit.

Your local Citizens Advice Bureau can help with all legal and practical matters following a death, including costs.

Age Concern provides advice and information to anyone over the age of 60 about funeral arrangements and welfare benefits etc. Tel: 0151 330 5678.

The Department of Work and Pensions has published two booklets that might be of help to you:

  • Help with the costs of a funeral from the Social Fund (SF200)
  • Further information on what to do when someone dies is available at https://www.gov.uk/after-a-death.