Aintree University Hospital was one of the first hospitals in England to support ‘Sign up to Safety’, an NHS England national patient safety campaign with a mission to strengthen patient safety in the NHS and make it the safest healthcare system in the world.
The campaign is built around five core pledges that link closely with our current safety initiatives and our vision to provide world class services for all our patients, with the common purpose of ‘getting it right for every patient, every time’:
- Put safety first – we will commit to reduce avoidable harm in the NHS by half and make public the goals and plans we have developed locally: we have dedicated Patient Safety Officers in all clinical wards and departments with a remit to promote Harm Free Care, reduce safety incidents and implement sustainable improvements to patient safety
- Continually learn – we will make our organisation more resilient to risks, by acting on the feedback of our patients and by constantly measuring and monitoring how safe our services are: we have developed a shared Patient Experience Action Tool which themes positive and constructive patient feedback support our continual learning from the experiences of our patients and their families
- Honesty – we will be transparent with people about our progress to tackle patient safety issues and support staff to be candid with patients and their families if something goes wrong: we are committed to being transparent with our patients by participating in the NHS England Open and Honest Care [link to page] initiative, which means that we publish a monthly report of any harm to our patients from healthcare acquired infection, falls and pressure ulcers
- Collaborate – we will take a leading role in supporting local collaborative learning, so that improvements are made across all of the local services that patients use: we are working in partnership with two other organisations to deliver our Falls Prevention Collaborative, implementing changes on the front line of care to reduce harm from falls in our hospital
- Support – we will help people to understand why things go wrong and how to put them right. We will give our staff the time and support to improve and celebrate the progress. We engage our staff in conversations about patient safety. Listening to our staff and acting on their ideas has helped us to understand why things sometimes go wrong and how to put them right
Further information and downloads
Further information on how we are committed to working towards the five pledges can be found in our Quality Strategy and annual Quality Strategy Delivery Plans that are available using the links below.
For more information on the Sign up to Safety campaign visit: www.england.nhs.uk/signuptosafety